Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Women of Colour in the Media

By: Isis Nicole

"Given the legacy of images created of black women, it is an especially complex task for contemporary black women to define their own image, one that necessarily both incorporates and subverts the stereotypes, myths, facts, and fantasies that have preceded them."- Carla Williams


When it comes to my thoughts on the portrayal of black women in the media, I take a minute to reflect and decide that it all depends on what's in front of me. If I happen to see a program on TV, it just so happens that women of colour usually come off as fierce, self-sufficient, passionate about their careers, and respected. But if I happen to see a video on something like World Star Hip-Hop, those women blatantly hold themselves to two things: sex and money. There’s nothing provocative or groundbreaking about my opinion, but I do think that it’s important to question why, on the subject of media, is there a standard only applicable for two types of coloured women─ the first being the strong, educated, independent who refuses support from anyone that isn’t herself also known as the caretaker. Or the second, being the woman who is a ride-or-die type chick, the idealized female desire who denies her intelligence and dignity in exchange for masculine dominance. I also feel that it’s important to address why so many women accommodate to being possessions of sexual satisfaction without any respect? Don’t get me twisted, there ain’t nothing wrong with feeling sexy, being sexy, and showing off your sexy. Now, I do mean sexy NOT skanky, but what about earning respect? Is this okay? Although my categorizations (self-sufficient versus sexual fantasy) give separate definitions to each type of woman, both encompass a sense of sacrifice of a coloured woman’s mind, body, and soul that is quite sad and lonely. Someone has got to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment