Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Reality Check: Some Entertainers Bringing in More Cash Than Teachers


By: Songine' Clarke
In elementary school, I remember reading an article about the millions of dollars celebrities and professional athletes make each year. All I could think was: if I could dribble or throw a ball or make one hit record, I could make a million dollars, instantly becoming successful.  
Ironically, that same day, I was in my fourth grade class with one of my favorite teachers, who happens to still be my favorite, but somehow, it never crossed my mind how much he was getting paid for changing children’s futures in a great way. 
According to Forbes.com, Lady Gaga will make $100 million in 2011, which is unfortunately a salary that a teacher probably will never see. According to the Chicago Public Schools website, with a bachelor’s degree, the starting salary for a teacher is $50,577. Of course, when you think about it, celebrities and entertainers get their money from their supporters and endorsements, whereas teachers get their money from the state. Unfortunately, this is a reality check and quite often, it’s something that we tend not to think about. Why are teachers, who are in many ways responsible for creating doctors, lawyers, entertainers, and some athletes, making significantly less than the people we adore so much? 

No comments:

Post a Comment