Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fashion: Breaking ALL of the Rules

By: Ebony L. McCline
During a casual conversation with a family member, she mentioned that she was wearing white today, which happens to be three days after Labor Day. The first thing that came out of my mouth was, “Why are you wearing white after Labor Day anyway?” 
Her reply, “I can wear whatever I want, whenever I want.” 
This small interaction got my mind racing. Then, I started to think of all the fashion “rules” that I break, probably on a daily basis. I realized I have the same mentality to some extent. There are still some rules I refuse to break. For those free spirits who wear what they want when they want, I’m sure you’ll agree with most of the following. However, for those who may be a little reluctant to be rebellious, here are a few options to think about if you’re willing to take a risk. 
No White After Labor Day
As of late, this rule has become easier and easier to break. With the introduction of “winter” white into the mix, it gives women all over the world an excuse to wear it all year around. 
Black/Brown Combo

For some reason, it has been drilled into our brains that wearing black and brown at he same time is a crime of fashion. In most cases, it’s one color or the other. It seems logical to wear a brown belt if you’re wearing brown shoes, right? Depending on the entire look, it could work if you mixed it up a bit. It just depends on how much of a risk you’re willing to take. 
Color Crazy
While some may try to pass off wearing any color they want as “color blocking,” it just doesn’t work for everyone. Now, it’s true that we’re all individuals with our own unique style, but “color blocking” is a technique and when it’s done well, the results are visually appealing. So, unless you have the time to put colors together that work for your particular body type, then you might not want to go that route. 

No comments:

Post a Comment