Tuesday, July 26, 2011

“Sugar Babies:" Is It Worth It?

By: Isis Nicole
I was first introduced to the lifestyle of “sugar babies”  after an episode of “The Tyra Show,” but I was recently reminded of this awkward reality on MTV’s “True Life: I’m A Sugar Baby.” Now, the term is technically defined as a woman who doesn’t mind exchanging herself or her time for gifts or money. While women usually fall into this category, it’s still possible to find men who are willing to do the same thing. 
As I watched, “True Life,” it didn’t disturb me when two young adults (one male and one female) admitted that their whole purpose is to find someone who could pamper and take care of them. Obviously, that’s what being a “sugar baby” is all about, right? What did surprise me were their reactions, when their “sugar daddies” wanted something in return; to me, that’s unspoken and sort of expected. Let’s face it, nothing in this world is free no matter how it may seem. I’m not sure if maturity is a factor, but these individuals just seem to appear pretty naive. No one is going to be okay with spending their hard earned cash, taking vacations, and paying bills but not getting anything of significance out of the deal.  
The whole “sugar baby” exchange just seems like a risky business that broke, young adults turn to because they may feel like there aren’t any other options. I’m almost sure that it’s not worth it. It’ll be more rewarding to just get a job and be responsible for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment