Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Grandparents: 2k11 Edition

By: Isis Nicole


Ever wonder about the old folks of the past? You know, those who were born in the good old days; the wise generation that are pre-technology, social networks, and all that other good stuff. There was once upon a time when “Granny” use to be that little old lady in a floral nightgown, bright lipstick, and her hair adorn with flakes of grey. She also had an insane amount of photo albums, and not to mention, she had stories to tell that went back for what seems like ages. Grandpa was never too far away. You know, that sweet, wrinkled old man?
Well, not anymore. I guess I should say at least not my grandparents. Out with the rocking chairs and in with the wonders of youth, because grandparents all over are more vibrant than ever. Now they are re-defining what it means to be a grandparent by throwing parties, vacationing on their terms, and even taking up the risk of online dating. Yes, DATING!!! 
Honestly, I’m proud of this transition. It puts a smile on my face when I see a 70+ year old grocery shopping or exercising at the crack of dawn. One of my grandmother’s is fairly young, so for the sake of argument let’s not include her.  However, my great grandmother is a different story. I went to her house a few weeks ago, and she left such an impression on me. She’s healthy and active, and she even tried to offer me a “drink!” 
It’s definitely motivating to see that life is still fun for those who aren’t physically young. Mark Twain said it best, “Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.”

No comments:

Post a Comment