Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Word for Word: New Poets to Check Out

By: Songine’ Clarke
I am a big fan of poetry. So, whenever I find new poets, I love sharing their talents. Three poets that I am really interested in right now are Joshua Bennett, Jasmine Mans, and Janette…ikz. 
Joshua Bennett
Joshua Bennett is a spoken word artist from Yonkers, N.Y. As a recent college graduate from the University of Pennsylvania, Joshua is talented. His most famous poem, “10 Things I Want To Say To a Black Woman,” is about all the positive things he wants to say to black women: “It’s something about the way light dances off your teeth. The way the moon gets jealous when you mock her crescent figure with the shape of your mouth.”
Jasmine Mans
Jasmine Mans is a poet and writer who made appearances on “Def Poetry” and "HBO presents: Brave New Voices." Jasmine Mans performed a piece called “Nicki Minaj” at the 2010 Stomp Da Madness at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. With lines like “Leave you noose necked hanging from Zion they will Lauryn Hill you, the mis-education of a Barbie doll coming soon,” this poem turned heads.
Janette…ikz
Janette McGhee a.k.a Janette…ikz is a spoken word artist from Long Beach, Ca. She has made plenty of appearances on P4CM (The Passion for Christ Movement), where she recited “The Truth without Photoshop” and “I Will Wait for You”. In “I Will Wait for You,” she talks about how she will wait for the man God intended for her to be with instead of being disappointed by the “carbon copies.” She also makes it known with lines like “Cause it was ME who let him in…Claiming we were “just friends”…It was already decided for me by the first date, that even if he wasn’t, I was gonna make him ‘The One’…You know… I was tired of being alone, and I simply made up in my mind, that it was about that time…so I decided to drag him along for the ride…”

No comments:

Post a Comment