Thursday, January 27, 2011

Moving Forward Together: 2011 SOTU address

By: Ebony L. McCline

Tuesday night, I sat in anticipation for many reasons. First and foremost, I was anxious to see what my President had to say to his country, the good old U.S. of A. Even though I was eager to hear the State of the Union address, I was equally as anxious to see how many people I knew would actually watch it. The reason for this deep thought can be summed up in two words: “The Game.” 

No, not the championship game that broke so many Chicagoans hearts, that was Sunday. No, not the Superbowl, it’s a little too early. “The Game” that I’m referring to is the television show. Now, I know what you’re thinking, what does that have to do with the State of the Union address? Well, if you’re a fan of the show, then you’d know that Tuesday nights are owned by, “The Game.” The President’s speech wouldn’t be the length of two hours, but I was sure that some part of it would conflict with this popular television show. So, I waited to see the outcome.

I was delighted to learn that by the end of President Barack Obama’s speech, #StateoftheUnion and #sotu were trending on Twitter. In addition to this revelation, Facebook statuses were consistently being updated about his speech and not that television show that we all seem to adore.

As my President delivered his speech in front of a Chamber of both Republicans and Democrats, he offered hope among other things. Those in the audience seemed to at least appreciate the things he said, even if they disagreed. Throughout the address, unity seemed to be a common thread. There were a number of one-liners, but my favorite speaks for itself: “We will move forward together or not at all.”

Obama spoke passionately about a number of issues. He encouraged our nation to “win the future.” Innovation was a key point, as he stressed the importance of Americans putting their creativity to use. He encouraged parents to play a role in education, insinuating that teaching doesn’t stop or start in the classrooms. Parents are teachers, as well.

Additionally, as America lacks in the quality of math and science, by 2021 the goal is to have 100,000 new teachers trained in math, science and technology. Lastly, pointing out America’s “D” on infrastructure, Obama spoke about South Korea’s extensive Internet access, China’s new trains and airports and European countries investments in their roads. He plans to continue to rebuild for the future, which in turn will create more jobs in the construction industry.

The hour long speech included many more goals and proposals, but as he spoke, I waited. I listened carefully, but I still wanted more. Finally, he admitted that it wouldn’t be easy, which ironically put me at ease. After that statement, I knew that even though he wanted to instill hope for our future, he was also being realistic, which meant a great deal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment